TOP TOMATO PESTS - PART 4 OF 6: STINK BUGS
- Identification: Stink bugs have broad bodies that are either in triangular or semi-elliptical shape. They have an antenna which is divided into five segments. You can see their damage in the yellow, uneven spots that appear on the ripening tomatoes. When you slice into a yellow-spotted tomato with white sections below the spots are distinguishes stink bug damage from fungal or viral problems.
- Plan of Attack:
- Keep garden areas cleaned up, especially through the winter, to deny stink bugs a place to hang out.
- Maintain a bird habitat in your garden to encourage them to eat the stink bugs.
- The parasitic wasp Trissolcus basalis has been shown to be effective against the Southern green stink bug.
- Use a soap or neem oil spray.
- There are also Stink bug trap you could use.